18 September 2015

Lolita Blog Carnival: My Signature Look




I've filmed a very talk-heavy video about this week's topic - which I'll link below - but I thought it might be nice to see some photos of coordinates that are very... me.

As I discuss in the video, my Lolita style is very simplistic. I like the idea of "less is more" when it comes to most areas of my life, and I try to apply that to my coordinates as well. I don't think I've quite mastered the art of simplifying my wardrobe or having a "capsule wardrobe" at all. But I like to think that I have created a good collection of pieces that match together and can make different outfits with the same items.

My coordinating style hasn't changed much since I first joined the fashion in high school. That was about 6 years ago! In addition, my ideal Lolita lifestyle and coordinates hasn't changed much from when I first learned about Lolita when I was 11 years old. I still remember pouring over LiveJournal pages of lifestyle tips and tutorials for turning t-shirts into cutsews. In a way I miss the age of genuine handmade Lolita. I know today's trend of handmaking accessories or overskirts is really big, but it isn't the same. Now there seems to be a competitive push for being the most outrageous, having the biggest thing on your head.

That's just not me.

What is me is smart cardigans, matching socks, small headbows, and a single necklace if any.

A picture is worth 1,000 words, so I've combed through my archives of outfit shots on my computer and my phone to show you a little bit of what I mean.


This outfit is a few years old, but I still own every item I wore that day! What characterizes my style in this photo is the matchy-matchy appeal. I thread pink through my socks, my blouse, and details on the print. I carry the same shade of mint from my head to my toes. And overall, I simply adore the look of long-sleeve blouses and ankle socks!



Here's another good example of something I love wearing in Lolita: cardigans! (Ironically I'm also wearing ankle socks.) I was experimenting a bit with the side ponytail, and I quite like it, but everything else is pretty typical of what I wear.

Here is a collage of a few more examples of outfits that I've worn over the years (excluding themed or OTT outfits that don't fit my signature style)



I hope you enjoyed taking a peek at some of my signature styled coordinates! Please watch the video below and follow me on my social platforms in the sidebar~

What is your signature look?


3 comments:

  1. I love your style, it's very inspiring to see toned-down coords that let the dress do the talking and still have a lot of creativity, as in, you haven't just put on a matching set with a simple blouse and shoes but you've really thought about it carefully. I'd like to go more in this direction, too.

    I know what you mean about lolita being less "handmade", I think it's a lot to do with lolitas getting older as well as easier access to brand and things like taobao and indie. There a few more lolitas who sew at (or close to) professional level and draft their own dress patterns or adapt them from Japanese patterns, so maybe handmade has gone to both extremes – getting better but less of it. I think many people are nostalgic for that period of lolita.

    P.S. Where do you get your cardigans from? They're lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it means a lot to hear that! I often feel substandard next to all these super stylized, way-too-much-time-on-your-hands handmade accessorized costumes. But like you said, it is refreshing to see more toned-down coords with the main emphasis on the dress.

      I see what you mean about handmade lolita going to both extremes, I coudn't have said it better myself (:

      And I get my cardigans from a lot of different places! The dusty pink one in this post is from H&M, but I also get cardigans from UNIQLO, BTSSB, and Taobao stores.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT FORM MESSAGE IS HERE